I often hear questions like this recent one: I wonder if you have any ideas for “accessing universal knowledge” or expanding kundalini awakening? Or, as one of my friends put it after years of spiritual research and reading about the mystical experiences of others, analyzing countless stories of connection, “I’d like to actually hear the song.”
Sometimes we’re in a place in life where we’re ready to spur extra development, to connect more deeply, and to evolve more quickly than usual. Maybe we are in physical pain and need the spontaneous healing that a healthy kundalini force can spur.
Increasing kundalini energy invites psychic opening and physical changes and will stir up discomforts that are ready to be addressed. It can’t be forced or controlled. But there are some conditions we can create to increase our receptivity to awakening and grace, and the to the wisdom that can settle in with it. Here are five that have proven most important for many people:
– Spend time alone in nature. Not just for a short time, but for hours and days.
– Limit your access to media, and to words in general. I am a voracious reader and would be lost in a world without books, but there are periods when it is essential to our development to set even the most inspiring reading aside. Reading, writing and talking – thinking in words at all – will interfere with your ability to receive information that is greater than words. If you are in a period of trying to access higher consciousness, experiment with leaving the books and conversation behind for awhile and opening only to concepts and sensations instead.
– Raise your emotions and thoughts higher. Cultivating a sense of gratitude, joy and ecstasy, experiencing every sensation of the present moment, invites the transformative kundalini force to do its work. Avoiding the energetic drag-down of mass media becomes even more important in this light.
– But don’t shy away from the dark. We may naturally feel our thoughts turning to the dark within, especially in regard to your current biggest difficulties. This is no time to run away it! It’s a time to dive right in to the middle of it, and turn those emotions inside out. Your dilemmas, your biggest heartaches, are the friction that builds the heat of transformation. Enduring them with faith and a higher love invites grace – as a tangible force – to open up and swallow the ugly from it, to turn it into the gift of gold. As Michael Franti sings, “When the hard times come, you know the teacher’s in the room.”
– Move. Your spine needs movement – your whole body needs movement – to remove energetic blockages and to invite the shakti forces to flow. If you are trying to encourage the river of kundalini, then you must obey the urge to flow, to lay down, to rock, to spin…. as it works its way through your body. If you don’t know where to start, begin with just this: sit down cross-legged and rock gently back and forth, from tailbone through neck and crown, slowly and with your own rhythm. Continue for a long time.
These tips will work to help you put yourself in the soaring state that invites wisdom or expansion. We can’t command kundalini awakening, but we can encourage it. If you’ve been walking your own path for awhile, I bet you’ve figured out your own ways to increase access to intuition, grace, and the living powerful force of kundalini over the years. Share them with us in the comments!