The word stress is defined in multiple ways, but there is only one that matters when we discuss how stress affects our physical bodies. The definition is this, “stress is a physical, chemical or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension.” While most people think of stress as a negative, it does have a function in our bodies. Stress is the body’s way of signaling for help or a break in the routine. If we don’t listen to these signals, we can develop imbalances in our bodies, which can then lead to illnesses.
There are many ways people fight and reduce stress but one often overlooked method is acupuncture. While being stuck with tiny needles may not seem “relaxing,” it really is. Acupuncture has been practiced for thousands of years and it is becoming more mainstream every single day. It is even being used in some hospital emergency rooms for those who are in pain and anxious. Here are five ways acupuncture can help with stress relief:
- Acupuncture acts like physical therapy for the nervous system. The tiny needles retrain the nervous system and the brain to behave as it should normally. For the nervous system to act and respond accordingly, cortisol has to be at normal levels and only used when a true “fight or flight” situation occurs. Studies show acupuncture does this.
- Another way acupuncture helps reduce stress is by normalizing the heart rate. When the body is stressed, the heart tends to pump faster and in some cases, a person may even develop palpitations. There are specific acupressure points on the arms and hands that can calm the heart.
- Stress is frequently related to specific emotions. Acupuncture controls anxiety and stress by affecting the part of the brain that regulates emotions and then reduces anxiety naturally. This allows the body to calm down and the mind to relax.
- Chronic stress frequently leads to depression. As the stress is relieved through regular acupuncture treatments and other mind/body techniques, then depression will start to clear up as well.
- Digestive disorders can be caused or exacerbated by chronic stress. Digestion occurs while the body is in the “rest and digest” phase. When stress is added into the mix, digestion may become disrupted and things like diarrhea can occur. Studies have shown acupuncture is extremely effective at decreasing or eliminating bouts of diarrhea.
Acupuncture is a wonderful tool for fighting stress. As few as two needles can reset your body and decrease your daily stress level. Contact Barefoot Healing today to find out how to resolve your stress the natural way.